Moonlight Visions - Chapter 30

 I fed Doreen everything that I needed her to say to Annie.  I sat back in my chair, hoping that Annie was not sensitive enough to detect my presence in the room. 


Doreen seemed very nervous as she waited.  “You know this is highly unethical,” she reminded me; her voice sounding slightly angered and unsure.

 Annie finally arrived.  I was a little concerned about Doreen because she still seemed unsure of whether or not she was going to give Annie a fake fortune or not. 
 “Do I just sit here?”  Annie said, walking toward the empty chair.  So far, she had not picked up on my presence.


“Yes,“ Doreen said in a very tight-lipped manner.

 “What brings you here today?”  Doreen asked.


“Well, I’m getting married soon and I guess I wanted to cheat a little to see if things were going to work out,” Annie said sounding excited but guilty.


Doreen looked angrily in my direction one time before beginning her reading.

 The situation was perfect for my purposes.  All Doreen had to do was tell her that she was marrying the wrong man.  I prayed that she could pull it off.
 “Could you tell me about him?”  Doreen asked.


Annie had a dreamy look on her face as she spoke about her fiancé.  “Oh, well he’s an incredible man!  His whole mission in life is to make me happy.  I am so lucky to have him,”  Annie said, not mentioning anything about love.

 “Well let’s see here,” Doreen began, gazing into her crystal ball. 



Annie leaned forward in anticipation.

 “He’s good-looking and…and very hard-working,” Doreen said.


“Yes, yes…that sounds like him.”

 “Oh yes, he’s a good catch,” Doreen said.  “He loves you very, very much.  Like you said, he’d do anything for you!”
 “What about a wedding?  Do you see our wedding?”  Annie asked sounding impatient to know more.
 “Well, I’m having a hard time picking it up.  Hmmm…did you both plan a small wedding?”  Doreen asked.
 “Well…we haven’t exactly talked about it, but I think that’s what we both would want.” 
 I was getting a little concerned.  I thought Doreen may have changed her mind about helping me.  So far, everything she was telling Annie was true. 
 “Yes, yes…now I see it.  Oh this is nice,” Doreen said.
 “I see you dressed in white…a gorgeous dress by the way.  I see lots of flowers..carnations I believe and your groom is standing there with tears in his eyes.”


Annie clapped her hands with pleasure.  “Oh, it sounds perfect!”

 “What will our marriage be like?”  Annie said practically jumping up and down in her seat like a child waiting to open her Christmas presents.


“Oh, you’ll have an incredible marriage.  He’s honest, loyal and he makes a decent living.  Heck…I may have to steal him from you,” Doreen said jokingly.

 “Yes, you and Robert will make a perfect couple!”  Doreen finished by dropping the bomb.


Annie immediately stopped smiling and banged her two closed fists on the table.  “Robert?  What kind of joke is this?” 

 “I just call it like I see it,” Doreen said.


 “But my fiancé's name is…Mike.”  Annie said; her voice full of venom.

 “I ‘m so sorry Annie.  I don’t see a Mike here.  I can only see Robert.”
 Annie wasn’t willing to give it up.  “But Mike is all of those things that you’ve described.  I’m marrying Mike,” she insisted.


Doreen laid on the drama by placing her hands on her face.  “This couldn’t be a mistake. I saw it as clear as day.  Is your fiancé's middle name Robert by any chance?”

 “No,”  Annie said, the fire dying down in her voice.


“Well you’re marrying the wrong man.  I see a man named Robert in your future.”

 Annie just sat there in disbelief for a few moments staring silently. 
 A very defeated Annie slowly lifted herself out of her chair. See looked like a person in total shock. 


Doreen stared at her helplessly.  I knew that this fortune had taken a lot out of her.  I would owe her big time.

 Annie headed for the door.  “Thank you,” she barely squeaked before leaving. 


She had forgotten to pay Doreen, but Doreen did not dare ask for the money.

 Doreen’s stress was written all over her face.  I knew that this was a lot to ask of her.  I only prayed that it would work.
 Not able to face Doreen for the moment, I left the caravan and followed Annie.  She stood a few yards away; her back rising and falling to the rhythm of her sobs.
 I felt so bad as I watched her wipe away tear after tear, desperately trying to pull herself together.
“Oh God! What did I do?”  She said out loud, just as a fresh set of tears spilled from her eyes.

Click Here To Read More Moonlight Visions

Labels: