Moonlight Visions - Chapter 34

 That evening, as I left the fortune teller’s caravan, the full moon greeted me.
 I had a feeling that it meant something; that it was there just for me somehow.
 I didn’t dwell on it too long.  It was evening and I had to get home quickly as possible to monitor Elaina and Robert, but the power I felt during that full moon never left me.  It gave me hope.
 
 Elaina and Robert were on the couch, cuddling like a couple when I arrived home, and it left a unsettling feeling in my soul.
 
 I knew that my presence bothered Elaina and it was very difficult for her to ignore, so I decided to make it even more difficult for her.
 
 I sat down right next to them and could almost sense Elaina tensing up ever so slightly.
 
 But she knew what would bother me, so she immediately leaned over and kissed Robert.  I was now the one feeling tense; tense with anger that I could do nothing about.  We were both getting really good at this game of back and forth.
 “You have been so kind to me…and I’m so undeserving,” she whispered.


“Of course you deserve it.  I’m glad to have you here.”

 I didn’t mean to, but I scoffed at her words and Robert’s response.  She turned to stare at me; knowing that she was getting to me.
 At the same time, I knew that I was making her uneasy.  “Let’s get out of here.  It’s a bit stuffy,” she suggested.
 “Where do you want to go?”


“I don’t know, let’s just drive and see where we end up,” she responded.  Maybe she thought that she could get rid of me, but I was up and out of my seat before they were.

 “I’ll be right behind you,” I couldn’t resist saying.

 Elaina stared but didn’t dare respond in front of Robert.
 Worry followed Elaina out the door.  I was a big problem for her; a vampire who’s used to be being at the top of the chain.  She finally found her match in me.
 I was waiting for them at the bottom of the stars and she knew she couldn’t shake me.   I would never leave her and Robert alone.
 Elaina and Robert decided to head to Moonlight Fall’s Fall festival, but it was around 30 degrees out and Robert stood shivering and cold.  Elaina did her best to keep him warm, but her colder than normal body temp did nothing to ease his discomfort.
 “I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that it would be so cold out.”


“Why aren’t you cold?”  Robert asked.  “You don’t even have sleeves.”

 Elaina did her best to play it off.  “Oh, I’m from a place a lot colder than this.  This is nothing,” she said.  I don’t know if Robert was convinced or not.
 He excused himself to go to the bathroom; leaving Elaina and I outside alone together.
 She walked over immediately.  “Why are you following us?  What do you want?”
 “I was sent here to save him and that’s what I’m going to do!”  I said standing up to face her.


“And how will you do that, he can’t even see you.  He’s blind to your existence.”

 “Oh there’s ways,” I said, trying to convince myself as much as her.


“Yeah right.  I’ll have him long before you figure that out,” she responded; obviously not fooled.


“You’ll have to get through me first and I’m not going anywhere!”

 “And what can you do?  Haunt me to death!  Honey, I’m already dead!”  Elaina snarled moving with an unnatural quickness; attempting to intimidate me.


I jumped in response, but quickly recovered.

 “Did you know that I’m a witch?”  The look on her face told me that she didn’t know.  I could tell that she was trying to comprehend what that meant, so I helped her out.  “Oh yes…you haven’t heard the stories?  I’m a dead prophetic witch and I still have my powers.”  I added the last part although I wasn’t sure it was true.
 I let that sink in before I continued.  “And I know what you are!”


“And what am I, exactly?” 

 “You’re a blood sucking killer, but I just can’t figure out what you want with Robert.”


“Why do you care?”

 I ignored her question, “Just know that I’ll never go away.  All you’re good for is killing and you can’t hurt me…I’m already dead.”


Suddenly Elaina stood shocked.  “You love him…don’t you!  You’re in love with him,” she said as if it just hit her.  I don’t know what gave it away; maybe the fact that I cared too much.

 I didn’t have a response, but my lack of words told her what she wanted to know.  Robert walked over at that moment, so Elaina didn’t say anything else either.
 Now that Elaina knew the truth about how I felt about Robert, I knew that she would use it against me.  Time was running out for me.


“What’s wrong Elaina?”  Robert said sensing something off about her.


“Nothing…let’s just go home!”




Click Here To Read More Moonlight Visions

Labels: