Moonlight Visions - Chapter 49

 I tried not to put too much thought into what Helen told me about crossing over, although everything she said and what it implied continued to haunt the deep recesses of my subconscious.
 
 I had another mission that I needed to concentrate on.  I headed to the library.
 Maybe alchemy was the answer after all.  Now that I knew that Janet and Donte used alchemy to walk around in the daylight, I realized that there was a lot about it that I still didn’t know.
 I needed a place to study alchemy and suddenly the basement, where my table and book was located, was not so welcoming.  
 
 The library was the only other place I could think of to find all that I needed.  I grabbed the oldest looking book I could find off the shelf and looked for a spot to make myself comfortable.  
 
 I scanned the book as quickly and as thoroughly as I could.  I learned some useful new potions, but nothing that had anything to do with vampires.  I scanned through a few other books before giving up for the day and leaving.
 
 As I left the library, I stared at the city hall building.  It wasn’t a vision exactly, but more of a strong intuition that told me that the police department, where Robert worked, was where I needed to be at the moment.
 
 I walked up to the large wooden doors and hesitated.  I had no way of knowing how many vampires or other ghost sensitive people worked in the large building.  I couldn’t just float in there as I was.
 
 I decided that being invisible would be the safest way to observe Robert at work.  I promptly disappeared and entered the old building.
 
 I slipped into the police department and saw Robert standing by a desk with his hand grazing an open file folder.
 
 I took a closer look at the file and saw that it was the file of Desirae Healy, the girl whose spirit I brought back from the realm.  
 
Robert did a few stretches, appearing to psych himself up.
 
He gave the file a final tap with his finger tips, as if he had made a final decision, and walked toward what I guessed was Janet’s office. I followed him.
 
 Robert walked into the office and looked around.  “May I help you Detective Vega?” Janet said from behind her desk.
 
 “I have new information on the Healy case,” Robert said.


“Have a seat,” Janet said; her voice sounding a little tense.
 
 “I forwarded an email that I received from our medical examiner.  Apparently there was a few pages missing from our initial forensics report,” Robert said.


Janet pulled up her email and silently read what Robert sent.
 
 “I thought I asked you to close this case.  It was ruled an animal attack,” Janet said, irritated.
 
 “Yes, on the outside Miss Healy’s wounds appear to be the result of an animal attack, but those wounds are just superficial; possibly created to cover up the real crime…”
 
 “…but the muscle underneath reveal…well, fang marks,” Robert continued.
 
 “Robert…I’m really hesitant to continue with this case.  It should have been closed months ago.”


“I know Lieutenant
Pok, but…I just…I really think we need to bring Mr. Morganthe in again for questioning.  We have enough to arrest and keep him now.”
 
 Janet sighed, “So you believe that Mr. Morganthe has fangs?”  Janet said as if it were the most ridiculous thing she’s heard.


Robert responded, “I know it may be hard to believe, but up until last night…I didn’t think such a thing was possible.  Now I know that we have vampires in our midst-”
 
 “Careful Robert, “Janet interrupted, “…did you know that I am in fact a vampire?”


“No…I…I mean, I suspected…but,” Robert stumbled.
 
 “Yes, I am indeed a vampire and yes Mr. Morgathe is a member of our little society of vampires.”  Janet clapped her hands together and reread the email that Robert sent, “You have done a fine job Detective Vega.  We will bring Mr. Morganthe in.”
 
 Just then another officer walked into the office holding a cup of coffee.  “Not now Officer Martinez.  I’m in the middle of something,” Janet quickly informed him.
 
 “Sorry to interrupt,” Officer Martinez said apologetically.
 
 Janet remained quiet, scanning the email silently again and again, until the officer was out of earshot.
 
 “Wow!  I can’t believe this has happened,” Janet said feigning anger.  “And to believe that he almost got away with this!”
 
 Janet looked around her computer screen at Robert, “You have done great work Detective Vega,” Janet lowered her voice,  “…but we must keep this quiet among ourselves.  No one must know!  The last thing we need is a scared, angry vampire on the loose.”


“I agree!”  Robert said.

 
 Robert looked away; his expression was unreadable.


“If that is all…” Janet said her tone indicating that she wanted Robert to leave.
 
 Yes, that’s it.  Thank you for your time,”  Robert said, before getting up and leaving.
 
 I stayed back and observed Janet after Robert left.
 
 Robert gave Janet a lot to be worried about.
 
 Outside Janet’s office, Robert stared at the file on his desk.  He also appeared to be worried and he had reason to be.  Not only did he just present his boss with enough evidence to finally indict Donte, a vampire, but he just found out that his boss was also a vampire.
 
 Janet paced around her office; her expression alternating between panic and fear.
 
 She walked over to the far side of her office and stared at her various rewards.  These keepsakes represented all that she had worked so hard for and now that Robert had new evidence to convict Dante…everything was at stake.
 
 With anguish all over her face, she pulled out her cell phone.
 She called Elaina right away; waking her up from her rest.  “I need to see you as soon as it’s dusk!”
 Janet ended the call and stared at the phone as if it were to blame for Dante’s crime and Robert’s discovery.
 “Damn!”  She said while staring at the window.  Time was winding down for her…and for me.



Click Here To Read More Moonlight Visions

Labels: