Moonlight Visions - Chapter 55

 My pleas had no affect on Robert… 
 
 The next morning, he was at Janet’s desk with a signed request form in hand…basically handing his life over to Elaina.
 
 “So you want to be a vampire?  Are you sure about that?”  Janet asked as a formality, although she couldn’t be more pleased that Elaina had finally accomplished this part of her assignment.
 
 “Yeah,” Robert said, but hesitated on handing the form over.  “Since I met Jos…Elaina, I knew I was destined to be with her forever.”
 
 Robert finally placed the folded request on Janet’s desk. 


“I’ll request a rush on your paperwork and inform your girlfriend once the papers have been submitted and filed.  She should be able to turn you before the day is out,” Janet said, trying hard to hide the pleasure in her voice.

 
 “OK,” Robert said turning away from Janet’s desk; toward the door.
 
 It was only after Robert had left the room that Janet allowed a smile to escape onto her face.  She was happy and relieved that this whole thing was almost over. 
 
 Robert on the other hand was hesitant and not sure that he was doing the right thing.  What if Elaina didn’t kill him, but really turned him instead?  That was a fate, in his opinion, worst than death.
 
 Elaina received the news from Janet right away and rushed back to Robert’s side to complete her duty.
 
 “Are you ready?”  She asked as soon as she was in his presence.


“I guess so,” he answered.


Elaina was on him right away; sinking her fangs deeply into the veins in Robert’s neck.  She was eager to finally taste him.
She drank greedily until Robert was weak and woozy.  
 
 “I feel funny,” Robert said after she was finished. “Am I supposed to feel like this?”
“Yes, it’s perfectly normal,”  Elaina lied licking traces of Robert’s blood from her lips.
“But I thought you were supposed to ki-” Robert started before the blood rushed from his head causing him to lose his balance.
He fell to Elaina’s feet; almost completely drained of blood.
Elaina stood there for a moment enjoying the fullness in her stomach as Robert’s blood made it’s way through her system.
She had done it.  She had fulfilled her mission; making a necessary change at the last minute.
 
 While Robert was filling out his form and turning it in to Janet, I realized what I needed to do.
All of this time I had been looking for one formula, but it suddenly dawned on me that what I needed was a combination of several formulas.  I headed to the elixir shop hoping to find what I was looking for.
I should have known it wouldn't be that easy.  “I don’t have all of that in stock.  In fact, some of what you need is somewhat rare.  You’re going to have to search for it,” the clerk said.
Although, I knew that I didn’t have time to do a widespread search for the ingredients I needed, I didn’t see the point in arguing. 
I headed out on my broom and began searching for the ingredients that I needed to save Robert.
Luckily, the clerk was able to give me a few suggested places to start looking. 
As rain poured down around me, I stopped in several fields looking for what I needed, totally aware that time was running out.
 
 I came up empty several times before I finally found the right location.
I gathered what I needed and quickly headed back to the elixir shop; praying for a vision to let me know of Robert’s current situation, but none came.
I checked and double checked my recipes to be sure that I had everything.  
 
 When I was sure that I had all of the correct ingredients, I began. 
I had only one chance to get this right.  If I failed, I would be failing Robert. 
 
 With everything mixed and cooked to perfection, I lifted up the bottle that contained all of my hopes and dreams; and perhaps Robert’s only chance at having a future. 
I arrived home and immediately knew something was wrong.  I began to frantically search for Robert.  I didn’t see him immediately…
But when I finally found him, I knew that I was too late. 
Robert was laying on the bed not moving or breathing.
 
 “Oh my God!  I’m too late!”  I screamed.  “Why Robert, why?”
I had failed.  I couldn’t believe that after everything I’d done to finally come up with a potion to save him from Elaina…I still failed.
Although my ability to really cry in the living world disappeared when I died, I still felt the emotions associated with mourning.  Everything seemed to spin around me as a roller coaster of emotions emerged from places within me that I never knew existed outside of the realm.
I covered my eyes to avoid facing my biggest mistake.  I never should have fallen in love with him.  Or worst yet, allowed him to fall in love with me. I never should have allowed him to even suggest dying for me.
Standing there feeling worst than I ever felt before, I knew where I would be able to talk to him once again.  I disappeared into the realm.


Click Here To Read More Moonlight Visions

Labels: